Vegetal plastics are so sweet!
We at Contraload think sustainability is very important. We not only optimize our services and products to save CO2, but also do this with our giveaways. Take our pens for example, 100 % Vegetal plastics. But what are vegetal plastics and how do they contribute to save CO2?
How is it made?
Vegetal PE is made out of sugar (mainly from sugar canes). Through 3 steps it becomes 100 % vegetal PE.
- By fermenting and distilling the sugar Ethanol is gained.
- Ethanol is dehydrated to create ethylene.
- Finally the Ethylene is polymerised to 100 % vegetal plastics.
What are the benefits of vegetal plastics?
- The sugar canes are absorbing enough CO2 when growing to compensate the CO2 that comes free during the production process.
- Sugar canes don’t need a lot of irrigation and almost don’t take away agricultural lands. Brazil the main producer uses 1 % of its agricultural surface to produce sugar canes. This happens 2500 km South of the green lung of our planet without any consequences for it (no deforestation at all).
- No need for pesticides or gmo.
- Real renewable resource.
- The waste of the sugarcanes is reused to produce electricity
Can I just throw away an object in vegetal plastics in nature without any consequence for it?
Vegetal plastics will not disappear just like that, it’s not an apple. It still needs an industrial process to compost or be recycled. But be sure it’s total life cycle will have a much sweeter taste for our nature than petrol based plastics. It is not perfect but it is a positive step forward!
Curious about how you can save CO2 with our services and products? Please contact us so we can calculate your CO2 savings for you.
Account Manager France
“Passionate about nature, by nature”
Become a friend of Contraload on Social Media and don’t miss a thing!